- Buy Your Tickets for A Perfect Pairing
Tickets for A Perfect Pairing, Susquehanna Service Dogs’ summer wine tasting event, are available online until noon on June 22. Held at the Vineyard and Brewery at Hershey on June 23 from 4-8 pm, A Perfect Pairing includes wine tasting, live music by ITSY & IM, food trucks, a silent auction, a vacation getaway raffle, puppy hugging, and more. Tickets cost $20 per person and $35 per couple in advance. Tickets will also be available at the door.
- Suicide Prevention
Help, healing, and hope can happen. If you or someone you know is in crisis and is contemplating suicide, please know that help is available. You are not alone. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and #BeThe1To save a life: 1-800-273-8255. You can find more resources at BeThe1To.com (external website) and SuicidePreventionLifeline.org (external website).
- Who Gets a Seat at the Table?—When “All” Means Only Some
Keystone Human Services International hosted a Side Event at the 11th session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, entitled “Who Gets a Seat at the Table?—When “All” Means Only Some.” A distinguished panel of change agents shared perspectives from the Global North and Global South on inclusion and the implementation of the Convention, and highlighted the work that remains before everyone has a seat at the table.
- Charles J. Hooker, President and CEO of Keystone Human Services, Participated in Inclusion International 2018 World Congress Delegation in Birmingham, United Kingdom
Keystone Human Services is pleased to announce that Charles Hooker led a delegation of the ANCOR International Council to participate in Inclusion International’s 2018 World Congress in Birmingham, UK. Mr. Hooker was joined by six other delegates from ANCOR, a national, nonprofit trade association whose members, including Keystone Human Services, provide supports and services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Classroom Space Needed for Capital Area Head Start
Capital Area Head Start is looking for classroom space to serve 250 children in Harrisburg, PA. Space should be at least 800 square feet with a sink and bathroom in the room or nearby. Students also need an outdoor play area. Each site needs to be able to accommodate at least two classrooms. If you know of any available sites in Harrisburg, PA, please email Jo Pepper at jpepper @ keystonehumanservices.org.
- Donate to Support Susquehanna Service Dogs in the Highmark Walk
Donate to fund the perfect match between a person and their service dog! Susquehanna Service Dogs participated in the Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community on May 19 with a goal to raise $30,000—the cost of raising, training, and placing a service dog. These dogs are individually trained based on their partner’s needs, which means each dog learns specific tasks to assist their partner to live a full, meaningful, independent life.
Donate to the Highmark Walk (external website) to help change lives!
- Mental Health Month
In recognition of Mental Health Month, we will be posting videos and information about mental illness and recovery on our Facebook Page. Like Keystone Human Services on Facebook (external website) to stay up-to-date on all the information.
- 2018 Nancy and Robert Fierer Spirit of Volunteerism Award
Congratulations to Dr. Nancy Dreschel, this year’s recipient of Susquehanna Service Dogs’ Nancy and Robert Fierer Spirit of Volunteerism Award! Dr. Dreschel manages SSD’s puppy raising program at Penn State University, where she teaches puppy classes, organizes outings, schedules vet care for the dogs, and mentors students to become great ambassadors for Susquehanna Service Dogs.
- Spend the day on the golf course with Keystone Human Services!
Keystone's annual golf tournament will be held at the beautiful Colonial Golf & Tennis Club on September 17. The tournament includes lunch, a round of golf with a cart, and an awards dinner.
- Susquehanna Service Dogs Honors 37 Dogs and People in 2018 Graduation Celebration
Honorees include working service dogs, facility dogs, courthouse dogs, detection K-9s for the CIA, companion dogs, breeding dogs, and demonstration dogs, along with their handlers and puppy raisers.
- ANCOR Direct Support Professional of the Year in Moldova
Congratulations to Natalia Dediu, the ANCOR Direct Support Professional of the Year for the Republic of Moldova! As a direct support professional within Keystone Moldova, Natalia has supported people with disability to live full lives in the community. Thank you for your commitment to our mission and vision, Natalia!
- Lace up your running shoes and get ready to take "Steps for Birth to Three" in Key Human Services' 10th Annual 5K Run, One Mile Walk, and Kids' Sprint!
The race will be held on Saturday, September 8, 2018 at the scenic West Hartford Reservoir. It's the perfect addition to your race schedule, whether you're planning on running your first 5K or if you're a seasoned runner looking to include a 5K in your racing schedule.
- Videos of Recovery from Mental Illness
Sharing stories of recovery from mental illness is an empowering experience and can serve as a source of hope for others. Dana Carl, a member of Keystone's Mental Health Services Leadership Council, shares some of the strengths and skills she relies on for her own recovery and to support others on their journeys to recovery.
- Keystone Human Services Announces Kristopher A. Weaver as New Director of Development
Kris Weaver brings valuable experience in development to his new role at Keystone Human Services.
- Keystone Human Services Strengthens Commitment to Community Services for People with Disability with Acquisition of New Jersey-Based Partnerships for People
As of April 1, 2018, Keystone Human Services has acquired Partnerships for People, a New Jersey-based nonprofit supporting people with disability to live and work in the community.
- Summer Dog Camp Registration Opens on April 2
Registration for Susquehanna Service Dogs' Summer Dog Camp opens on April 2 at 6 pm. Campers ages 10–14 spend a week learning about and working with future service dogs.
- Become a Rehabilitation Specialist
We're hiring Rehabilitation Specialists! Find your rewarding career supporting men and women in recovery from mental illness to focus on their strengths, build family relationships, and community connections. Learn more and apply for this position and our other open positions.
- Spotlight on Our Employees: Matt Miller
Every employee with Keystone Human Services has a vital role to play in advancing the human spirit. Matt Miller recently celebrated his 30th anniversary with Keystone! Matt started his career as a Direct Support Professional and now works in our Information Systems Department. He understands that technology plays a significant role in supporting people with disability to live full lives in the community. Congratulations on 30 years and thank you, Matt, for your dedication to our mission!
- Enroll your child in Capital Area Head Start for the 2018-2019 school year
Enrollment is open for Head Start and Early Head Start for the 2018-2019 school year. If you are pregnant or have a child ages 0-5, you may be eligible.
- We're hiring in Connecticut
We're looking for Direct Support Professionals in Connecticut to support people with disability living in our new Community Living Arrangements. Positions are open in Griswold, Colchester, Newtown, Bloomfield, and Watertown. You can search and apply for these and our other open positions in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Delaware.
- Register to Support Susquehanna Service Dogs in the Highmark Walk
Registration for the Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community is now open! Susquehanna Service Dogs is participating in this year's walk to raise $30,000 to fund the perfect match between a person and their service dog. When you sign up between now and February 15 and make a $30 (or more) personal donation, you'll be entered to win a pair of Hershey Bears tickets for the game on March 4.
- Lace up your walking shoes, because it’s time for the Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community!
Susquehanna Service Dogs is participating in the 2018 Highmark Walk, and we need your help to reach our goal of raising $30,000—the cost of raising, training, and placing a service dog.
- Keystone Human Services Announces Gregory N. Wellems as New Executive Director of Intellectual Disability Services
Gregory Wellems brings a wealth of experience in human services to his new role at Keystone Human Services.
- Meet One of Our Direct Support Professionals
Our Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) work every day to support people to live full, meaningful lives in the community. Last month, we recognized our employees who are celebrating their 25th, 30th, and 35th anniversaries with Keystone Human Services. One of those employees is Bill Gingrich, who celebrated his 35th anniversary. He’s been supporting the same individuals since he first joined us.
News Stories From 2017
- A New Way of Thinking about the Potential and Possibility for an Inclusive India
- Find your career with Keystone
- Support Keystone Human Services as You Shop
- Share the Possibilities with the Children of Moldova this #GivingTuesday
- Tracy Kralik Receives 2017 Edna Silberman Humanitarian Service Award
- Dr. Ludmila Malcoci of Keystone Human Services International Receives Professional Leadership Award
- Pennsylvania Treasurer Torsella hosts roundtable in Dauphin County to discuss PA ABLE Program
- Veronica Rotaru Received ANCOR’s 2017 International Direct Support Professional of the Year Award
- Capital Area Head Start Receives Federal Grant to Extend Classroom Hours