- About Us
- Global Vision
- News and Events
- Ways to Help
- Advancing the Human Spirit
Susquehanna Service Dogs Volunteer Opportunities
To volunteer, complete the online application.
- Ask other organizations you’re involved with to hold a fundraiser for SSD, such as a bake sale, carwash, bingo, a raffle, yard sale, flower sale, etc.
- Have your business sponsor a fundraiser for SSD
- Tabs for Labs: Save the tabs off your soda cans and bring them to the SSD kennel or a Keystone office. SSD recycles the tabs and receives money.
- Walk for a Healthy Community: Talk about the Walk for a Healthy Community, sponsored by Highmark and hand out promotional materials.
- Support SSD as you shop online. Sign up at iGive.com and a percentage of every purchase will be donated to SSD, at no cost to you.
- Hold a dress down day for a donation at work, and donate the proceeds to SSD.
- Post and distribute posters and brochures in public areas
- Arrange for a service dog demonstration for a group or organization
- Become a demonstration dog team and give SSD demonstrations
- Help us make things, such as sewing harnesses and puppy scarves, building shelves or painting walls and equipment
- Take videos and photos during Team Training. We will supply the equipment.
- Learn how to give the certification test and help give the annual certification test to our team
- Assist SSD staff to interview partners
- Recruit friends to volunteer for SSD
- Make fleece tug toys
Whelp a Litter
- Care for a pregnant mother and her puppies for eight weeks in your home
- A responsible adult caretaker must be available in the home 24/7 for nine weeks
- Must be willing to allow volunteer puppy huggers to visit your home
Special Events, Lunches and Dinners
- Help plan and hold the annual graduation party, the holiday party and other special programs
- Prepare, deliver, set up , serve or clean up lunches during Team Training
- Clean the kennel
- Groom dogs
- Fill Kongs and bones
- Cut up hotdogs
Note: Nearly all of our opportunities to work with dogs are on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. We normally do not have opportunities to work with dogs on evenings and weekends.
- Help socialize the puppies while they’re still with their mother
- Assist the mid-woof with the daily care of the puppies