- About Us
- Global Vision
- News and Events
- Ways to Help
- Advancing the Human Spirit
Keystone Human Services International Comprehensive Systems of Care for Children and Youth in the North Caucasus
Toolkit and Resource Guide: Kabardino-Balkaria
Assessing the Immediate Psychological, Educational and Health Needs of the Most Vulnerable Children and Their Families
The analysis of the need in Kabardino-Balkaria (KBR), our second CSOC project site, revealed that some of the most serious problems in the Republic in the sphere of provision of services to children and adults with disabilities are similar to those in other regions of Russia. There was a dearth of adequate data on the number of people with disabilities and those in need of specialized psychological and educational assistance, access to educational and rehabilitation services was limited, and persons with disabilities were experiencing social isolation. Specialists lacked expertise, and there were limited opportunities for them to enhance their professional development. Furthermore, no systematic, multidisciplinary approach to serving people with disabilities was in place.
Attempting to achieve improvement in the quality of services for children and youth with disabilities and their families, we focused in our work on a range of activities, including establishing communication with parents of children with disabilities, strengthening parents’ involvement in their children’s development, introducing new methods of rehabilitation for people with disabilities, supporting youth involvement in volunteer and other social initiatives and providing a capacity-building program for specialists working with children with disabilities in KBR.
- RF Ministry of Labor and Social Development – Decree №54 On the Approval of Systemic Recommendations for Organizing the Operations of Government (Municipal) Institutions Known as “Residential Facilities for Intellectually And Developmentally Delayed Children”
Increasing Professional Capacity
An important achievement of the project in KBR is the improvements in the system of care for children with disabilities make through proficient guidance of the CSOC Center in Nalchik and a professional competence course for specialists working in this field in state organizations of KBR. Among the professors and professional trainers who provided educational and professional development opportunities to local specialists were Elena N. Kutepova, Natalia D. Sokolova, Nina V. Simonova and Sergey A. Morozov.
The main concepts behind Comprehensive Systems of Care are highlighted and discussed in the articles of two project expert consultants: Irina M. Bgazhnokova, professor, Head of the Department of Special Psychology and Corrective Education at the Moscow Institute of Open Education, and Marianna B. Sokolova, Coordinator of Programs of Handicap International in Russia & CIS.
- Modern Approaches to Solving Integration Issues for Individuals with Developmental Delays by Irina M. Bgazhnokova
- Irina M. Bgazhnokova provides methodological information regarding the stages of contextual reformation of the State system of correctional education and analysis of the results of a public opinion survey on the process of social adaptation and integration of people with intellectual disability (mental retardation). Special attention is paid to the issue of responsibility in organizing appropriate conditions for integration of children with developmental delays into the system of State education. The attachments to the article include several legislative acts that concern the rights of children with special needs, as well as normative and educational documents that regulate the activity of correctional education establishments.
- Executive bodies of the Russian Federation constituents – Regarding the realization of constitutional educational rights for disabled children living in residential facilities for mentally challenged children
- RF Government Decree, 03.12.1997 № 288 "Regarding the approval of a standard regulation on a special (corrective) education establishment for students, foster children with developmental delays" with amendments made on 03.10.2000, 12.23.2002
- Basic academic plan for special (corrective) education VIII type (II variant) establishments
- Basic academic plan for special (corrective) education VIII type (II variant) establishments (5 day program)
- Sample academic plan for organizing work with students with a complex handicap (Ministry of Education RF on 04.03.2003, №27/27 22- 6)
- Clarification of the academic plan for organizing work for students with complex handicap
- Background Information. The Formation and Development of a Government System of Special Education in Russia by Marianna B. Sokolova
- In this article, Sokolova reviews the three main stages in the formation of the system of special education in Russia and examines these stages from a historical perspective, covering a 200-year period. She especially focuses on the historical context, problems and tasks of the stage-by-stage reformation of special education system in Russia.
- Conditions for People with Severe Intellectual and Psychophysical Disabilities in the Russian Federation by Marianna B. Sokolova
- Sokolova provides a profound analysis concerning Federal Regulations on protection of the rights and interests of people with disabilities. Approaching these Federal Regulations in practice, the article addresses not only opportunities that are available for people with disabilities, but also offers a discussion on the problems and limitations connected with these Regulations. The following issues are given special attention:
- Discrepancies of State policy regarding people with disabilities and their rights to live in a family and receive education
- Contradiction of some sub-legislative documents to the legislation in chosen classifications and criteria used in medical and social expertise and in restrictions regarding access to rehabilitation services
- Problems concerning an integrated system of early diagnostics of developmental disorders
- Problems concerning integrative education
- Insufficient collaboration of the State and NGOs
- Sokolova also discusses data on children with disabilities who live in institutions and experience multiple infringements on their rights.
- What is an IPR?
- Individual Rehabilitation Programs (IPR)
- IPR Form
- Federal List of Rehabilitation Measures, Technical Rehabilitation Resources, and Services Provided to Disabled Persons
- RF Government Decree №240 On the Manner in which Disabled Persons will be Equipped with Technical Means of Rehabilitation
- RF Government Decree №247 To Make Amendments to the Rules on Declaring a Person Disabled
- RF Government Order №95 On the Procedure and Conditions for Declaring a Person Disabled
- RF Government Order №2347-r On The Federal List of Rehabilitation Measures, Technical Rehabilitation Resources, and Services Provided to Disabled Persons
Community Development and Citizen Participation
- Resolution of the Conference in Nalchik, 23 May 2008, on “Improving the system of educational and social services for children and teenagers with special educational needs and their families”
- List of NGOs working in Field of Disability in the Russian Federation
- Seminar Materials by M.B. Sokolova